The Samuel Marshall Gore Art Gallery
Dr. Samuel Marshall Gore joined the MC faculty in 1951 following his completion of a three-year BFA program of study at the Atlanta College of Art. Prior to this assuming the leadership role, pioneering effort and influence could be traced to the teaching of Marie Hull at Hillman College and more recent art instruction by others on faculty. Completing his BA requirement at MC in 1952, he was invited to remain in the only full time art position at that time and to nourish a quiet but significant tradition of interest in art on campus. He developed the Art Major curriculum and recruited students with art career interests. From the beginning, his commitment was to the church-related mission of the college and to a concept of art with a strong Christian emphasis. He further qualified himself by completing both the Masters and Doctoral degrees. Through his perseverance the full time art faculty grew in number from one to six with an equal number of adjunct and part-time instructors, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees including the Master of Fine Arts. He has been successful in fund raising for art scholarship funds and established the Sam Gore Art Scholarship Endowment. Under his leadership significant firsts have been achieved, among which are: hosting of the first loan exhibit in the South from the Guggenheim Museum, in being the first of forty Southern Baptist Colleges to offer an MFA degree program and in being the first among the small colleges to have a graduate elected to membership in the National Sculpture Society. His students have been highly motivated and have achieved a tradition of notable success in both studio and teaching careers. In recognition of this contribution to art in Mississippi, he received the following awards:
- The Mississippi Governor's Award for Career in Art, 1997
- The Outstanding Citizen of the Year Award by the Clinton Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- The Ageless Heroes Award for Creativity by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi, 2002
- The Order of the Golden Arrow Award by Mississippi College, 2002
As a tribute to Dr. Gore's faithful stewardship of energy and talent toward serving college students and in establishing a legacy of teaching art from a Christ-centered perspective, the college administration established the Samuel Marshall Gore Art. Galley. The Gallery, located initially in the Aven Fine Arts Building, will be relocated in permanent facilities which will house permanent art collection and ongoing art exhibits. Upon the completion of the larger, more easily accessible facility, the Gore Gallery will be enabled to perform an even greater and more unique service role of the Department of Art in Christian higher education.
Gore Gallery Show Calendar 2014- 2015
- August 17, 2014 - September 28, 2014 - Exhibition of selected works from the Dorothy Benford and Jasper McPhail Collection, the Kenneth M Quinn MS Regional Collection, the Elizabeth Parjerski Collection and the MS College Department of Art Collection.
- September 12, 2014 - December 21, 2014 - Selected works from the Mississippi College Permanent Collections featuring our 2014 New Acquisitions to the Permanent Collection.
- September 29, 2014 - October 29, 2014- MC Department of Art 2014 Art Alumnus Show. Featuring recent work by Johnny Mae Gilbert (1989) - 2014 Distinguished Art Alumnus of the Year and Monica Steen (2011) - 2014 Young Art Alumnus of the Year.
- October 18, 2014 - Homecoming Celebration - Reception honoring the MC Department of Art Alumni and featuring the 2014 Distinguished Art Alumnus of the Year, Johnnie Mae Gilbert and the MC Department of Art 2014 Young Alumnus of the Year, Monica Steen - 10:00 A.M. - 12:00 Noon.
- January 22, 2015 - April 17, 2015 - Selected works from the Mississippi College Permanent Collection.
- April 24, 2015 - August 17, 2015 - Southern Scenes - Works selected from our permanent collections featuring work by Mississippi Masters including, Walter Anderson, Bill Dunlap, and Sam Gore.
- June 3, 2014 - August 5, 2014 - An exhibition of paintings by Bob Allan Dunaway and photographs by Mary Lynn Dunaway. These works are inspired by their travels to Africa, Costa Rico and throughout the USA. Artist Reception: June 26, 2014 - 5:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
- August 11, 2014 - September 26, 2014 - A selection of a selection of paintings and mixed media creations by George Ann McCullough. Artists Reception: September 4, 2014 - 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- October 1, 2014 - November 25, 2014 - Bob Willis Master woodworker. A collection of his turned vessels, sculpture and home furnishings. Artist Reception: October 9, 2014 - 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- October 18, 2014 -Homecoming Celebration - Reception honoring the MC Department of Art Alumni, the 2014 Distinguished Art Alumnus of the Year, the MC Department of Art 2013 Young Art Alumnus of the Year. 10:00 A.M. - 12:00 Noon.
- December 1, 2014 - December 12, 2014 - Mississippi College Department of Art Holiday Art Sale sponsored by Kappa Phi. Selected works by the faculty, students and alumni of the Mississippi College Department of Art.
- January 8, 2015 - February 20, 2015 - Painings by Vicki Nygren Armstrong. Artist Reception: January 15, 2015 - 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.
- February 27, 2015 - March 27, 2015 - Mississippi College 3rd Annual Competitive Art Showcase. Reception and Awards: March 1, 2015 - 2:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
- April 1, 2015 - May 8, 2015 - Mississippi College Department of Art 2015 Senior Show. Reception and Awards : TBA
- June 10, 2014 – June 23, 2014 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Spring 2014 Graduate Research Class.
- July 24, 2014 – August 15, 2014 – Work by the Spring 2014 Design II and Painting Students.
- August 18, 2014 – October 3, 2014 - Drawings, A sampling of artworks from the Spring 2014 classes.
- October 8, 2014 – November 21, 2014 – Graphic Design, A sampling of work from the Undergraduate and Graduate Graphic Design Classes.
- November 24, 2014– January 16, 2015 - Printmaking, An exhibition of work by students in the Fall 2014 Printmaking Class.
- January 20, 2015 – Feb 24, 2015 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Fall 2014 Graduate Research Class.
- February 26, 2015 – March 28, 2015 - Interior Design, A sampling of work from the Interior Design Classes.
- April 2, 2015 – May 23, 2015 - MFA Thesis Exhibits, Work by those graduate students completing a MFA Thesis, Fall 2014 or Spring 2015.
- May 25, 2015 - June 26, 2015 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Spring 2015 Graduate Research Class.