The Samuel Marshal Gore Art Gallery
Dr. Samuel Marshall Gore joined the MC faculty in 1951 following his completion of a three-year BFA program of study at the Atlanta College of Art. Prior to this assuming the leadership role, pioneering effort and influence could be traced to the teaching of Marie Hull at Hillman College and more recent art instruction by others on faculty. Completing his BA requirement at MC in 1952, he was invited to remain in the only full time art position at that time and to nourish a quiet but significant tradition of interest in art on campus. He developed the Art Major curriculum and recruited students with art career interests. From the beginning, his commitment was to the church-related mission of the college and to a concept of art with a strong Christian emphasis. He further qualified himself by completing both the Masters and Doctoral degrees. Through his perseverance the full time art faculty grew in number from one to six with an equal number of adjunct and part-time instructors, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees including the Master of Fine Arts. He has been successful in fund raising for art scholarship funds and established the Sam Gore Art Scholarship Endowment. Under his leadership significant firsts have been achieved, among which are: hosting of the first loan exhibit in the South from the Guggenheim Museum, in being the first of forty Southern Baptist Colleges to offer an MFA degree program and in being the first among the small colleges to have a graduate elected to membership in the National Sculpture Society. His students have been highly motivated and have achieved a tradition of notable success in both studio and teaching careers. In recognition of this contribution to art in Mississippi, he received the following awards:
- The Mississippi Governor's Award for Career in Art, 1997
- The Outstanding Citizen of the Year Award by the Clinton Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- The Ageless Heroes Award for Creativity by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi, 2002
- The Order of the Golden Arrow Award by Mississippi College, 2002
As a tribute to Dr. Gore's faithful stewardship of energy and talent toward serving college students and in establishing a legacy of teaching art from a Christ-centered perspective, the college administration established the Samuel Marshall Gore Art. Galley. The Gallery, located initially in the Aven Fine Arts Building, will be relocated in permanent facilities which will house permanent art collection and ongoing art exhibits. Upon the completion of the larger, more easily accessible facility, the Gore Gallery will be enabled to perform an even greater and more unique service role of the Department of Art in Christian higher education.
Gore Gallery Show Calendar 2012 - 2013
- May 25, 2012 – August 28, 2012 – Drawings, Prints and Watercolors, Selected works from the permanent collection by artists working with water based painting media and a variety of drawing and printing techniques.
- September 4, 2012 – December 21, 2012 – Selected works from the Mississippi College Permanent Collection featuring our 2012 New Acquisitions to the Permanent Collection.
- October 15, 2012 - November 23, 2012 – MC Department of Art Michael Jay Wharton - 2012 Distinguished Art Alumnus of the Year and Chase Quarterman - 2012 Young Art Alumnus of the Year, Show of recent works.
- January 8, 2013 - April 15, 2013 – From Hands and Hearts, Selected works from the Mississippi College Permanent Collection featuring works by artisans working with traditional craft media.
- April 18, 2013 - August 17, 2013 – Mississippi Spotlights - Works selected from our permanent collection spotlighting venues in and around Mississippi. Spotlighting work by Mississippi Masters such as Mildred Wolfe, Karl Wolfe, Wyatt Waters, Ron Lindsey, Walter Anderson and Bill Dunlap.
- May 22, 2012 – August 8, 2012 – Costa Rica, An exhibition of works created by the participants of the Summer 2011 Painting Excursion to Costa Rica by faculty, students and friends of the Department of Art, Mississippi College, Clinton MS. Reception: TBA
- August 15, 2012 – October 3, 2012 – Stephen D. Cook – A collection of paintings, drawings and prints, featuring his Fondren Series. Artist Reception: September 13, 2012 - 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- October 5, 2012 - November 28, 2012 - Looking Back and Looking Forward: Work from Childhood to Today, Work highlighting the talents of Mississippi College’s Albert Smathers. Artist Reception: November 15, 2012 – 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- October 27, 2012 - Homecoming Celebration - Reception honoring the MC Department of Art 2012 Distinguished Art Alumnus of the Year and MC Department of Art 2012 Young Art Alumnus of the Year – 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 Noon.
- November 30, 2012 – December 14, 2012 – Mississippi College Department of Art Holiday Art Sale – featuring work by the faculty, students and friends of the Mississippi College Department of Art.
January 9. 2013 – February 22, 2013 – Around and About: A Contemporary Viewpoint – A show featuring paintings by Rick Anderson.Artist Reception: January 24, 2013, 6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
- Brown Bag Lunch: January 25, 2013, 11:30 A.M. – 1:30 P.M. - Gallery talk and demonstration of the non objective painting process by Rick Anderson.
- February 27, 2013 – March 29, 2013 - Mississippi College 2nd Annual Competitive Art Showcase Reception and Awards: March 3, 2013 – 2:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- April 3, 2013 – May 10, 2013 - Mississippi College Department of Art 2013 Senior Show Reception and Awards: TBA
- May 18, 2012 – June 28, 2012 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Spring 2012 Graduate Research Class. – Dr. Busbea
- July 2, 2012 – August 24, 2012 – Carnaval, Posters by the Spring 2012 Graphic Design Students, based on Schumann’s Carnaval Op. 9. – Mr. Mummert
- August 28, 2012 – September 26, 2012 – Reflections of Summer, A sampling of artworks from the Summer 2012 Classes. – Dr. Miley, Ms Miley, Albert Smathers
- September 28, 2012 – November 26, 2012 – Photography, Printmaking and Pottery, A sampling of student work in each of the three media. – Mr. Hataway, Mr. Cook and Mr. Gregory
- November 28, 2012– January 16, 2013 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Fall 2010 Graduate Research Class. - Dr. Busbea
- January 18, 2013 – Feb 22 , 2013 - Drawing and Painting Students - Artworks by students from the Department of Art drawing and painting classes. – Mr. Smathers, Mr. Cook, Mr. Jolly, Dr. Miley and Mr. Gregory
- February 27, 2013 – March 29, 2013 - Mississippi College 2nd Annual Department of Art Competitive Art Showcase
- April 2, 2013 – May 17, 2013 - MFA Thesis Exhibits, Work by those graduate students completing a MFA Thesis, Fall 2012 or Spring 2013. -TBA – All graduate faculty - Mr. Cook, Mr. Jolly, Mr. Smathers, Dr. Miley, MS. Reeves, Dr. Busbea, Mr. Gregory and Mr. Taylor
- May 20, 2013 - June 28, 2013 - Graduate Research, An exhibition of multimedia work by students in the Spring 2013 Graduate Research Class. – Dr. Busbea