All Interior Design students not owning a laptop computer with the specifications listed below will need to purchase one by the fall semester of the second year. Transfer students may need to purchase a laptop sooner. Please check with the program director. This allows students to work on their own computer in studio classes. Our current advice for laptop purchases includes the following minimum requirements:
- Intel Quad Core i5 or i7 (i7 preferred)
- 1 GB of VRAM (Video Card RAM) (2 GB preferred)
- 8 GB of RAM (16GB preferred)
- 250GB+ Hard Drive. (512 SSD Hard Drive preferred) Note: 3D files and Images can take a considerable amount of space, 250Gb HD might not be enough.
- Windows 10
- 15′′ screen or larger
- 1,280 x 1,024 display resolution with true color (1920×1080 or higher preferred)
- 802.11n WiFi
- External mouse with at least 3 buttons
With the current state of software, the program requires purchasing a PC computer. This is largely due to the fact that Autodesk Revit does not yet run on a MAC operating system.
We advise students not to purchase software required by the program until enrolled in software courses. Students should have computers purchased prior to enrollment in ART 301 (fall semester of the second year). Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Revit, etc.) can be downloaded from the Autodesk Student Community website for free. Faculty will give you more details in class. Students will be expected to purchase the latest release of Adobe Creative Suite in ART 305. Students will need to pay for the Adobe Creative Suite, but student discounts are available. We do not recommend downloading any software prior to taking these classes, as software upgrades are frequent.
Students are strongly advised to purchase a color printer.