All Interior Design students not owning a laptop computer with the specifications listed below will need to purchase one by the fall semester of the second year. Transfer students may need to purchase a laptop sooner. Please check with the program director. This allows students to work on their own computer in studio classes. Our current advice for laptop purchases includes the following minimum requirements:
- Processor : Intel i-Series ( i7 Quad-Core with highest affordable CPU Speed is recommended.)
- Memory: minimum 8GB of RAM (16GB or higher is recommended.)
- HardDrive: Solid State Disk (SSD) is recommended. Note: 3D files and high resolution images can take considerable space, 250GB HD is the minimum but more is recommended. Revit requires 5GB of free disk space.
- Display Resolution: minimum 1280×1024 with true color and 4K maximum (1920×1080 or higher is recommended)
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit.
- 15′′ screen or larger
- Pointing Device: external mouse with at least 3 buttons.
With the current state of software, the program requires purchasing a PC computer. This is largely due to the fact that Autodesk Revit does not yet run on a MAC operating system.
We advise students not to purchase software required by the program until enrolled in software courses. Students should have computers purchased prior to enrollment in ART 301 (fall semester of the second year). Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Revit, etc.) can be downloaded from the Autodesk Student Community website for free. Faculty will give you more details in class. Students will be expected to purchase the latest release of Adobe Creative Suite in ART 305. Students will need to pay for the Adobe Creative Suite, but student discounts are available. We do not recommend downloading any software prior to taking these classes, as software upgrades are frequent.
Students are strongly advised to purchase a color printer.